If you love fried chicken and consume it more often, then you aren’t alone. It is becoming so popular these days that you will find it everywhere- fast food restaurants, hotels and popular stores. And the best part about this meal is that it is quite tempting and affordable, but the only downside of consuming two pieces of extra crispy fried chicken is it comes along with 490 calories, excluding those enticing mashed potatoes and sauce, which will add another 120 calories in your meal. Now the question arises is it possible to prepare this delicious food at home in a healthier way?
Yes! Of course! It is very simple to make fried chicken at home and it has number of distinct health benefits. Some of the primary benefits are:
- You can easily control the number of ingredients.
- You can use the freshest stuff possible to make it healthier and can also purchase organic chicken, if you wish.
- You can vary the ingredients as per your requirement and taste.
- You can avoid the use of excess oil which is not good for your heart.
- This food can be eaten as a cold-plate snack- like those we prefer at picnic or outdoor parties and secondly, it can be taken freshly cooked.
- Above all, you can enjoy the meal at family table.
In this article, you will explore a variety of Fried Chicken recipes that are easy to prepare at home and are healthier and mouth- watering.
Crispy Fried Chicken:
Let’s find out the essential ingredients that are readily available in the market.
- 4 pound chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- Around 2 and a half cup flour to coat the chicken
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First of all take chicken pieces and skin them, if you like.
- Take a large plastic bag and put adequate amount of flour and season it with salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
- Now dip chicken pieces few at a time in buttermilk and put them in a flour bag.
- Seal the plastic bag and shake well, so your chicken is coated well.
- After doing that, place the coated chicken on tray or cookie sheet and cover the pieces with dried kitchen towel.
- Leave it covered for some time, until the flour changes to paste-like consistency. This step is very important!
- Take a large pan and pour vegetable oil. Heat it on a medium flame.
- Put as many chicken pieces for frying as your pan can bear.
- Let the chicken pieces get golden brown on both the sides.
- When browned enough, reduce the flame and cover your pan and leave the stuff for at least 30 minutes.
- When the chicken is tender enough, remove the cover and cook it on high flame until it becomes crispy.
- Drain your crispy fried chicken on tissue papers and serve it with salad leafs, sauce and fries.
Southern Fried Chicken:
Let’s see what ingredients are required to prepare finger- licking Southern Fried Chicken.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Peanut oil for frying
- Around 1 cup hot red paper sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 ½ pound chicken pieces
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup garlic powder or paste
- Take a deep large bowl and beat the eggs by pouring water.
- Now add little amount of hot pepper sauce, until the mixture turns into bright orange.
- Take another medium sized bowl and add flour and pepper.
- Now season the chicken pieces with pepper, salt and garlic powder.
- Once you done with the seasoning, dip chicken pieces one by one into a beaten eggs mixture.
- Then coat your chicken well in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pot, until it becomes very hot.
- Fry the pieces in peanut oil for best Southern taste and cook it until brown and crispy.
- Leave it covered for 14 to 15 minutes.
- Your Southern Fried Chicken is ready to serve.
Fried Chicken Escalope:
Fried escalopes are flat or hammered pieces of chicken, which are found to more tempting and crispier than traditional recipes. Let’s find out the important ingredients:
- 1 or 2 loaf of bread without crusts. Two days old bread would be best to use.
- 1 table spoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 kg chicken (fillets)
- Sunflower oil
- 1 tea spoon chopped herbs (fresh for best results)
- Preparation of Escalope:
The first step is to remove the tendons and skin from chicken pieces. Now take two parchment paper or plastic wrap and put chicken fillets in between them. Pound the fillets with rolling pin, so they are flattened well, about 1 cm in depth. These pounded pieces are popularly known as “Escalope”.
- Make Breadcrumbs:
The second step is to chop the loaves of bread in the food processor and dish out your breadcrumbs in a wide and deep bowl.
- Season the escalopes:
After doing all this, you have to season your fillets with salt and pepper as per your taste. Now sprinkle mustard powder on each escalope and leave it for some time. Also add chopped herbs over the fillets.
- Beat the eggs:
Once you are done with marination, beat 2 to 3 eggs in a deep bowl and dip chicken pieces so that both sides are coated evenly.
- Coat with Breadcrumbs:
At this stage, you need to coat your chicken escalopes with breadcrumb, until it hides the pieces well.
Sixth step is to fry chicken pieces in a large frying pan with Sunflower Oil. Heat the pan until it becomes very hot.
- Add the escalopes in frying pan:
Shallow fry your chicken fillets for about 4 to 5 minutes. Once they are browned enough, drain them out.
Serve your escalopes with tomatoes, salad leaf, cucumber and all other vegetables you like.
Fried Spring Chicken:
Let’s take a look at some important ingredients that are required to make this super delicious dish.
- First and foremost, you need Spring Chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 table spoon parsley (finely crushed)
- Freshly prepared breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 table spoons lemon juice and vinegar
- Pinch of Cayenne
- Lemon quarters for garnishing
- First of all, assemble all the items and ingredients to accomplish this recipe.
- Divide your spring chicken into two legs pieces, two breast pieces and finally two wings.
- Take 2 table spoons of oil and mix few drops of lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper as per your requirement and a pinch of Cayenne.
- Now include finely chopped parsley, garlic clove and ground ginger, if using.
- Place all chicken pieces on a flat tray and pour the mixture evenly on all the pieces.
- Leave the marinated stuff for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain out your chicken.
- Coat the pieces well in white breadcrumbs.
- Heat frying pan up to 180 degrees and pour sufficient oil for deep frying.
- Add each piece at a time in the hot pan and allow it to cook for 15- 20 minutes.
- Once they are golden brown, drain chicken pieces on tissue papers or paper towels.
- Sprinkle a little more salt on the pieces to add an enticing taste.
- Add some lemon juice to make it sour and tempting and place few lemon quarters for garnishing.
- You can serve Fried Spring Chicken with Chilli Sauce, mashed potatoes and Broccoli.
- You are ready to serve your dish.
There are as many secret and mouth watering recipes of Fried Chicken as there are cooks around the globe and innovating different recipes every day. Some cooks prefer marinating chicken overnight with buttermilk, paprika and pepper. While some like to coat with self rising flour and some soak the chicken pieces in brine or beer batter. And few like to roll chicken fillets in breadcrumbs.
So, the best way to find out the most effective method and your favorite recipe is to experiment with different techniques and seasonings. By choosing core methods, using proper ingredients and equipment, you can hit the best recipe for Fried Chicken.
A useful Tip:
Usually, fried chicken consumes lots of oil to deep fry, so it is suggested to use fresh oil every time you cook. It is because reused oils are more prone to rancidity and impart unwanted flavors to your meal. But if you reuse the oil, you should better drain the cooled cooking oil with the help of coffee filter. In this way, all impurities will be removed and you will be left with healthier filtrate.