Avial or aviyal is a traditional dish in Kerala. Prepared with mixed vegetables and flavored with a subtly spicy blend of coconut and green chilies, this is a very tasty and healthy recipe apt for any festive occasion.
- Ash gourd – 1 ½ cups
- Pumpkin – ¼ cup
- Carrot – ¼ cup
- Raw banana – ½ cup
- Yam – ½ cup
- Drumstick – ¼ cup
- Raw mango – ¼ cup or fresh curd – ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
For the Grinding
- Coconut – 1 cup, finely grated
- Green chilies – 4
For the Seasoning
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
How to Cook
- Wash all the vegetables under running water and allow to drain completely. Remove the peel of the vegetables and cut everything into 2 inch long pieces.
- Add all the vegetables to a large saucepan and sprinkle a little water. Mix in turmeric powder and place the pan in the pressure cook.
- Pressure cook for just 3 whistles. You can also cook it directly. You have to just take care that vegetables should be crisp and tender.
- While the vegetables are cooked, grind coconut with green chilies with little water to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Once the vegetables are cooked al dente, mix in coconut mixture and salt and cook for a couple of minutes more or until the raw flavor of coconut vanishes.
- If you have not added mango pieces, you can add curd here and then cook until the mixture turns semi dry. Adjust the salt, mix in coconut oil and curry leaves.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot.