Vishu Kanji is an indispensible element of Vishu feast. Most of the time, people mix in coconut milk to the cooked kanji before serving to spice up its flavor. If you’re planning to prepare your own kanji, here’s an easy recipe you might want to try.
- Broken matta rice – ½ cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Clarified butter – for serving
How To Cook
- Wash the rice thoroughly under running water at normal temperature 5 to 6 times to ensure that the grains are free or small stones and gravel.
- Place a large vessel filled with water on medium to high flame.
- Allow the water to come to a rolling boil.
- Add the rice and let the mixture boil for a couple of minutes.
- Cover the vessel, lower the flame, and cook for about 20 minutes or till rice is cooked. Keep stirring intermittently and checking whether rice is done.
- Serve hot with salt and clarified butter to taste and other ingredients of Vishu sadya.